In the late 1890’s, Bishop James A. McFaul, the second Bishop of the Diocese of Trenton, recognized the need for a home for the aged and indigent. He sought assistance from Colonel Daniel Morris of Atlantic City, who left a substantial bequest to the diocese in 1898. Morris stipulated that the funds be used towards the construction of St. Michael’s Children’s Home and Morris Hall Home for the Aged. Bishop McFaul also donated personal funds towards the construction of the home and is buried beneath the large Celtic cross facing the main entrance.
The land which was acquired for the home had been a farm, which the Diocese continued to operate. The Sisters of St. Francis operated Morris Hall for many years and the residents worked on the surrounding farm. The farm produced much of the food for use at the home and elsewhere in the Diocese. The Sisters of St. Francis ran the facility until 1981.
The cornerstone to Morris Hall was laid on October 2, 1904 by Bishop McFaul, and the first residents were admitted on August 7, 1905. On August 13, 1905, Bishop McFaul celebrated the first Mass in the new building. Our Lady of the Rosary Chapel was completed in 1910 and served as the parish church for Lawrence Township until 1938. The original stained glass windows from this chapel are now in the new chapel in the main lobby of Morris Hall.